Consumer Product Information Database (http://www.whatsinproducts.com )
The Consumer Product Information Database (CPID) is a web-based tool that allows consumers, scientists, health care providers and regulatory authorities to find out about the health effects of ingredients in brand-name products available in the market. The CPID, initially developed by DeLima Associates, has been used by consumers in the United States for over 14 years where it is experiencing over 30,000 page-views per day.
CPID contains manufacturer, ingredient, health effects, first aid and safe handling and disposal information for over 15,000 brand-name products. The CPID is designed to provide the answers to the following types of questions:
- Where can I find information about a specific brand/product available in the market?
- Will or could the product harm people, pets or the environment?
- What chemicals are in the product?
- What are the properties of these chemicals?
- Does the product contain Substances of Very High Concern (SVHCs)?
- How do I safely use the product?
- How is an accidental exposure treated?
- How do I safely dispose of the product and container?
- How do I contact the manufacturer?
Information Sources & Product Categories
Product information is obtained from labels on containers, manufacturer’s websites, and product and safety data sheets. Since it is impossible to address all products in the market, the brands are selected based on their market share within each of the following product categories:
- Personal Care: soaps, shampoos, hair dyes, perfumes, shave creams, etc.
- Inside the Home: detergents, surface cleaners, polishes, air fresheners, etc.
- Home Maintenance: DIY products, paints, solvents, sealants, cements, etc.
- Automotive: car polishes, lubricants, brake fluids, radiator fluids, additives, etc.
- Hobbies & Crafts: artist’s paints, adhesives, brush cleaners, solders, dyes, etc.
- Home Office: printer inks, toner, adhesives, markers, cleaners, etc.
- Pet Care: grooming supplies, flea & tick control, cleaners, etc.
- Pesticides: algaecides, fungicides, insect repellents, animal repellents, etc.
- Yard & Garden: fertilizers, plant disease control, cements, driveway coating, etc.
At the request of industry professionals, an additional category “Commercial/Institutional” was recently added to address products used in schools, office buildings and healthcare facilities.
Information Provided to Users
Types of information provided to users include:
- Manufacturer contact information.
- Product image, description and usage.
- Chemical ingredients and their concentration in each product.
- Acute and chronic effects of product.
- Health effects of each ingredient.
- GHS classifications for chemical ingredients.
- Proper handling and storage of products.
- First Aid guidance for unintentional exposures to chemicals in each product.